WHY BUY IT ?
- Premier Grand Cru Classé “B” in 2012
- The signature of Stéphan Von Neipperg (Canon La Gaffelière, d’Aiguilhe, Clos de l’Oratoire, Clos Marsalette, Château Soleil and Château Croix du Rival), helped by the renown oenologist Stephane Derenoncourt
- One of the jewel of the appellation Saint-Emilion
- Organic Certified by FR-BIO-10
- The management of the vineyard is inspired by biodynamic viticulture
- An iconic label of Saint Emilion with the Von Neipperg’s signature
The history of Château La Mondotte dates back to the begining of the XIXth century. The editions Cocks-Féret even mention it in their second edition in 1868. It was thus never created in 1996 as the rumor states… During the revision of the classification of Saint-Emilion in 1996, after the demand of the wines Commission, la Mondotte needed to dispose of its own installations. Until then, the wine was vinified and aged in a different place, located at Château Canon La Gaffelière. Many investments had to be made to fulfill this demand for only 4.5 hectares. In 1996, the château La Mondotte tus becomes La Mondotte and leaves the shadow of Château Canon La Gaffelière and Clos de l’Oratoire. Celebrated by the press, that vintage was a success. The quick worldwide fame confirmed the rightness of Stephan Von Neipperg’s bet.
The vineyard of Château La Mondotte is located on the east plateau of Saint-Emilion. Close to Troplong-Mondot, this 4.5 hectares terroir compose a real jewel. This exceptional soil is equipped by all the natural assets needed for the elaboration of a great wine. Noble grape varieties composed of old vines, roughly 50 years old, are planted at 75% Merlot and 25% Cabernet Franc. Each year, the maturation of the grapes, in particular the Merlot, operate in great conditions. The management of the vineyard is inspired by biodynamic principles. The philosophy applied to the first crus was copied for Château La Mondotte. The little size was a perfect place for experimentations at the time. This little terroir, well located, had great potential. The alcoholic fermentation and maceration are led in wooden tanks so the wine can develop all its color and taste potential. Each tank is treated depending on its characteristics; the cap is punched very slowly so the seeds can open slowly. The vinification is done in thermo-regulated wooden tanks. The extractions are long. The low temperatures of extraction compensate by a long maceration that change depending on the vintages. Very concerned by the sustainable development, Stephan Von Neipperg’s investments and efforts were awarded when the vineyard was certified Organic Agriculture by FR-BIO-10.
At the tasting, this wine is deep and charming. The mouth is smooth. It is a round and supple wine, very seductive by its strong fruit aromas and its intense red color. The Merlot gives freshness whereas the Cabernet Franc offers aromatic complexity and lenghth.
- Owners: Comtes VON NEIPPERG
- Manager: Comte Stephan VON NEIPPERG
- Technical Manager: Gaëlle BARBEREAU
- Cellar Manager : Yannick DAROUY
- Oenologist: Stéphane DERENONCOURT