Clos du Marquis
WHY BUY IT ?
- An exceptional terroir of 45 ha, west of the “Enclos”
- The exceptional know-how of the Delon family
- The technical team of Léoville Las Cases
- Wines that know how to age beautifully
- An essential brand of the St Julien appellation
- One of the best value for money in Bordeaux
The history of the Clos du Marquis goes back to the beginning of the 20th century during the planting of vines adjoining the Château de Léoville, home of the Marquis de Las Cases. The first vintage of Clos du Marquis has been produced since 1902 from a small enclosure adjoining the Château de Léoville and parcels outside the Grand Enclos. At the time, the creation of this brand had a strict objective: to identify the two different terroirs of Château Léoville Las Cases and Clos du Marquis.
The vines stretch over about 45 hectares (111 acres) with an average age of thirty years. The presence of organic matter in the top soil is due to the presence of a forest on this land in the past. This characteristic brings a typical Saint-Julien style to the wine. The grapes ripen later in this vineyard than in the Enclos, the latter being warmed by the micro-climate of the nearby Gironde river.
The vineyard is planted on the Saint-Julien plateau, 20 metres above sea level. This soil is composed of humic podzol over sandy-clay gravel. The terroir is characterised by a greater regularity in the soil types as well as a higher hydrological sensitivity than the Enclos. Indeed, the Enclos possesses a natural drainage system thanks to the slope of the land and its proximity to the river. Also, the soil composed of Quaternary Graves, older and finer than those of the Enclos, is planted with 67% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Merlot and 1% Cabernet Franc.
At the tasting, Le Clos du Marquis expresses perfectly the typicality of Saint-Julien. That is to say structure, complexity, harmony, distinction and capacity of guard.
- Owner: DELON Family
- Manager: Jean-Hubert DELON
- Technical Director: Michael GEORGES
- Sales Manager: Florent GENTY
- Export Sales Manager: Antoine GIMBERT
- Marketing and Communication Manager: Laura DUSSER