Château Les Grands Chênes
WHY BUY IT ?
- A wine commissioned by the renowned Bernard MAGREZ
- This property is a rising star of the Médoc
- Its quality was revealed in 2005 during a blind competition between the Bordeaux and California wines of 2001, organized by the European Grand Jury, where the cuvée des Grand Chênes finished first in front of many big names
- We recognize in the Great Oaks the style of the owner of Pape Clement in his desire for structure, finesse and power
The first plantation in the history of the Château Les Grands Chênes, named Cru Bourgeois Supérieur, took place in 1880. This property was one of the first acquired by Bernard Magrez in the Médoc vineyards. This castle is often considered as “The Pearl of the Medoc”. It is located on the famous gravelly ridge of Saint Christoly du Médoc and is built around an old fortress dating from the sixteenth century.
Terroir & Vinification
This 12-hectare vineyard on a typical Médoc terroir “looks” at the river; it is the privilege of the greatest classified growths of Médoc. The grape variety consists of 50% Merlot, 45% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Cabernet Franc. The cultivation of the vine is conducted in respect of the environment and in a traditional way. Vinification is done by manual punching.
Gravity cuvaison is applied in low volume thermo-regulated vats, which allow to vinify each plot separately. The breeding is done mainly in new barrels during 18 months. Most of the vats are made of wood. The malolactic fermentation is carried out in new French oak barrels.
At the tasting, Château Les Grands Chênes offers a full and fleshy wine with beautiful aromas of fruit and surprising volume.
- Owner: Bernard Magrez
- Consulting Oenologist : Michel Rolland