Château Cos d’Estournel
Fascinating. Opulent. Voluptuous
WHY BUY IT ?
- Château Cos d’Estournel has become, in the eyes of the wines lovers, the archetype of St Estèphe where strength doesn’t exclude freshness nor smoothness
- A wine qualified as “super-second” with an outstanding ability to age, up to a century for some vintages!
- A 100% gravity cellar to preserve the quintessence of the fruit: no pump is used at the castle. All handling (pumping and racking) take place thanks to the tanks
- 3rd Bordeaux brand in term of positioning in refined restaurants worldwide*
- 6th Bordeaux brand in term of positioning in fine wineshops worldwide*
The history of Château Cos d’Estournel begins in 1811 when its owner Louis Gaspard Lacoste of Maniban Marquis d’Estournel, having inherited some vineyards near the village of Cos, decides to vinify them separately. The wine of Cos d’Estournel was born. Very quickly, the wine surpasses the most prestigious wines and is exported to India. In 1855, Cos d’Estournel acceded to the classification of 1855 as second classified growth. In all, five owners were at the head of Cos d’Estournel. The last one was Michel Reybier, who bought the Château in 2000 and undertook many changes including a brand new barrel cellar but above all, a 100% gravity winemaking cellar: a real innovation in the region. The estate creates red and white wines.
Terroir & Vinification
The vineyard of Château Cos d’Estournel now covers 91 hectares. On this terroir with meager peaks and on the southern slopes, Cabernet Sauvignon (60% of the vineyard) find their soils of choice. On the eastern slopes and on the coasts where the limestone basement of Saint-Estèphe is exposed, the Merlots (40% of the vineyard). Only wines from vineyards over twenty years old will bear the name of Château Cos d’Estournel. Density from 8 to 10,000 feet per hectare. Each winemaker has the personal responsibility of 45,000 vines, which he takes care of every year. These farming methods are essentially manual. The harvest is of course also manual and it is handmade that the grapes, collected in special crates, will be carefully sorted.
At Château Cos d’Estournel, vinification adapts to the character of the harvest, to favor the expression of the terroir and this thanks to a new cellar. Precise grape sorting and pure gravity pumping using 4 lift vats as well as precise control of fermentation temperatures favor the selection of the softest tannins and the preservation of the fruit. The aging in new oak barrels merrain discretely enhances aromas and flavors with a fair woody. Château Cos d’Estournel will then spend 18 months in barrels.
When tasting, we discover a wine with incredible balance, with present tannins , but melted. An elegant and fine nectar, with a lingering finish.
- Owner: Michel REYBIER
- Sales Director: Charles THOMAS
- Technical Director: Dominique ARANGOÏTS
- Head of Culture: Michel SEMENTERY
- Cellar Master: Dominique CASTAING
- Business Developer: Etienne DE NANTES (US Market), Alexis THIERRAZ (Chinese Market), Marine TARANSAUD (Markets France & Europe)
Other wines of the property
Pagodes de Cos
History The history of Cos d’Estournel began in 1811 when its owner Louis Gaspard Lacoste of Maniban Marquis d’Estournel, after inheriting some vineyards near the village of Cos, decided to vinify them separately. The wine of Cos d’Estournel was born....Wine details