Château Cos d’Estournel White
WHY BUY IT ?
- 2nd Grand Cru Classé of Saint-Estèphe
- A wine described as “super-second”
- A 100% gravity-fed cellar to preserve the quintessence of the fruit: no pumps are used at the château. All the handling (pumping over and racking) takes place thanks to the lift vats.
- A brand that no longer needs to be built
- An exceptional white wine from Bordeaux, expressing the terroir of Saint-Estèphe.
Château Cod d’Estournel White is the white wine of Château Cos d’Estournel.
The history of Château Cos d’Estournel begins in 1811 when its owner Louis Gaspard Lacoste of Maniban Marquis d’Estournel, having inherited some vineyards near the village of Cos, decides to vinify them separately. The wine of Cos d’Estournel was born. Very quickly, the wine surpasses the most prestigious wines and is exported to India. In 1855, Cos d’Estournel acceded to the classification of 1855 as second classified growth.
In all, five owners were at the head of Cos d’Estournel. The last one was Michel Reybier, who bought the Château in 2000 and undertook many changes including a brand new barrel cellar but above all, a 100% gravity winemaking cellar: a real innovation in the region. The estate produces red and white wines.
Terroir & Vinification
The vineyard of Château Cos d’Estournel now covers 91 hectares. On this terroir with meager peaks and on the southern slopes, Cabernet Sauvignon (60% of the vineyard) find their soils of choice. On the eastern slopes and on the coasts where the limestone basement of Saint-Estèphe is exposed, the Merlots (40% of the vineyard). Only wines from vineyards over twenty years old will bear the name of Château Cos d’Estournel. Density from 8 to 10,000 feet per hectare. Each winemaker has the personal responsibility of 45,000 vines, which he takes care of every year. These farming methods are essentially manual. The harvest is of course also manual and it is handmade that the grapes, collected in special crates, will be carefully sorted.
At Château Cos d’Estournel, vinification adapts to the character of the harvest, to favor the expression of the terroir and this thanks to a new cellar. Precise grape sorting and pure gravity pumping using 4 lift vats as well as precise control of fermentation temperatures favor the selection of the softest tannins and the preservation of the fruit. A blend of Semillon and Sauvignon, this wine expresses all the potential of the Saint-Estèphe terroir in a white wine.
Château Cos d’Estournel White is sublime, with its notes of white flowers, exotic fruits and fresh almond.
- Owner: Michel REYBIER
- Sales Director: Charles THOMAS
- Technical Director: Dominique ARANGOÏTS
- Head of Culture: Michel SEMENTERY
- Cellar Master: Dominique CASTAING
- Business Developer: Etienne DE NANTES (US Market), Alexis THIERRAZ (Chinese Market), Marine TARANSAUD (Markets France & Europe)