WHY BUY IT ?
- First Grand Cru Classé A of Saint-Emilion: only 4 Châteaux can claim this title (Ch. Cheval Blanc, Ch. Angelus, Ch. Pavie)
- The culture of the vines dates back to the Gallo-Roman era and the “modern” vineyard in the 18th century.
- An absolutely unique terroir: Ausone’s reputation is gradually established to reach the very first rank of the Saint-Emilion appellation
- Only to become Premier Grand Cru Classé A, with Ch. Cheval Blanc, in 1959.
- Very old vines used in the making of this great wine
- Excellent notes and reviews from the International Press every year
First Grand Cru Classé A of Saint-Emilion, Château Ausone is one of the oldest property in the Bordeaux vineyards. Its History is that it occupies the site of the magnificent villa that the poet and proconsul Ausone owned in Lucaniac (Saint-Emilion). It is from here that his name comes from. This vineyard is for several centuries in the same family thus allowing to preserve very old vines. Today, the heirs of Madame Cécile Vauthier continue her work vintage after vintage.
Admirably exposed to the east and south, the terroir of Ausone Castle is surrounded by a belt of rocks, collapsed quarries which shelters it completely from the north and west winds. These centuries-old vines can produce 20 barrels of a wine that has long been at the head of the great wines of Saint-Emilion and the great wines of France. The area of the property is 9 Ha. The average age of the vineyard is 45 to 50 years old. The richness of the soil constitutes the magnificence of the terroir: ¼ on a thin soil resting on starry limestones, ¾ on chalky clay-limestone coasts. The grape variety is 55% Cabernet Franc, 43% Merlot Black & 2% Cabernet Sauvignon.
First Classified Grand Cru A in the classification of Saint-Emilion, work on the vines is traditional and the operations in green are carried out in the respect of the nature and for a quality of wine: stripping, stripping, harvest in green, manual harvesting , tri. After a traditional fermentation, the wines are aged in barrels 85% new.
At the tasting, Château Ausone offers a perfect expression of its exceptional terroir and the ancestral knowledge of the Vauthier family.
- Owner and operator: Famille VAUTHIER
- Master of Chai: Philippe BAILLARGUET