Clos des Lunes – Lune Blanche
WHY BUY IT ?
- A dry white in the exceptional soil of Sauternes
- A wine made in Olivier Bernard
- An identifiable packaging: an 18th century bottle
- An unprecedented blend: a majority of old Sémillon (70%) on 2 distinct terroirs, combining power and freshness
- A wine regularly rewarded by the press
- A true partnership with Bordeaux Tradition to build your market
The history of this very old Sauternes terroir, among the largest in Bordeaux, is only very recently attached to the Clos des Lunes. It is with the vintage 2012 that the birth certificate of Clos des Lunes is truly signed by Olivier Bernard and the team of Domaine de Chevalier. This new brand comes from an exceptional terroir located between the Châteux d’Yquem and Guiraud. These soils are not only known to be able to produce the best Sauternes but also very large dry white wines. Their study shows that we can produce here even larger than on the floor of the prestigious Pessac Léognan.
This terroir of Clos des Lunes is a beautiful hilly vineyard planted with old Sémillons and Sauvignon Blancs. The area is 33 hectares where are located 70% Sémillon and 30% Sauvignon Blanc. The average age of the vineyard is 30 years old. The vines come from two terroirs that are complementary: the Sauternes terroir composed of deep gravel with underground springs that brings power to the wine and the terroir of Bommes composed of gravelly soils on clay-limestone substrate which brings with it the freshness of wine. The grapes are picked by hand at perfect maturity and selected to produce the Clos des Lunes wine. A slow pneumatic pressing without destemming and without maceration, carried out by two presses coming from Domaine de Chevalier, allows an adjusted sequencing. The settling is done naturally by gravity, in a cold room. All the techniques applied at Clos des Lunes come from the Domaine de Chevalier, ensuring that new vintages have an enhanced quality based on their experience.
For the tasting, the Clos des Lunes – Lune Blanche offers a pale yellow luminous hue with pale green hues. The nose is pure and intense peach vine accompanied by acacia flower. The mouth is generous, straight and of good tension. Mineral salinity gives balance and immediate pleasure.
L’Equipe du Château
- Owner: Domaine de Chevalier
- Manager: Olivier BERNARD
- Deputy Director: Rémy EDANGE
- Technical Director: Thomas STONESTREET
- Project Manager Clos des Lunes: Hugo BERNARD and Thomas MEILLAN