Clos des Lunes – Lune d’Argent
WHY BUY IT ?
- This wine is in line with the Domaine de Chevalier Blanc: expression of the terroir, brilliance of the fruit, aromatic purity and elegance
- A wine from an exceptional terroir (neighbor of Château Yquem, Château d’Arche and Château Guiraud)
- Sémillons (70%) of exception that produce a fruity but also mineral wine to drink within 3 years
- Manual harvesting by successive sorting to have a perfect maturity of the grapes. Only a few rare castles make successive tries in Bordeaux
- A wine produced by the same team as the Domaine de Chevalier; a passionate team and an internationally recognized know-how
- A new brand in full expansion thanks to the fame of its current manager, Olivier BERNARD (Domaine de Chevalier)
- A distinguished packaging: Bordeaux bottle of the 18th century and a modern label
The history of this very old Sauternes terroir, among the largest in Bordeaux, is only very recently attached to the Clos des Lunes. It is with the vintage 2012 that the birth certificate of Clos des Lunes is truly signed by Olivier Bernard and the team of Domaine de Chevalier. This new brand comes from an exceptional terroir located between the Châteux d’Yquem and Guiraud. These soils are not only known to be able to produce the best Sauternes but also very large dry white wines. Their study shows that we can produce here even larger than on the floor of the prestigious Pessac Léognan.
This terroir of Clos des Lunes is a beautiful hilly vineyard planted with old Sémillons and Sauvignon Blancs. The area is 33 hectares where are located 70% Sémillon and 30% Sauvignon Blanc. The average age of the vineyard is 30 years old. The vines come from two terroirs that are complementary: the Sauternes terroir composed of deep gravel with underground springs that brings power to the wine and the terroir of Bommes composed of gravelly soils on clay-limestone substrate which brings with it the freshness of wine. The grapes are picked by hand at perfect maturity and selected to produce the Clos des Lunes wine. A slow pneumatic pressing without destemming and without maceration, carried out by two presses coming from Domaine de Chevalier, allows an adjusted sequencing. The settling is done naturally by gravity, in a cold room. All the techniques applied at Clos des Lunes come from the Domaine de Chevalier, ensuring that new vintages have an enhanced quality based on their experience.
For the tasting, the Clos des Lunes – Lune d’Argent offers a bright yellow light hue with pale green highlights. The nose is intense and complex of exotic white fruits and citrus mixed with floral notes of linden and acacia. The palate is rich, generous, ample and intensely fruity, very good tension. The lemony freshness of Sauvignon Blanc delicately coats the exotic sweetness (mango & lychee) of the ripe Semillon. Mineral notes bringing a good salinity invite to this cocktail to serve a very nice finish.
L’Equipe du Château
- Owner: Domaine de Chevalier
- Manager: Olivier BERNARD
- Deputy Director: Rémy EDANGE
- Technical Director: Thomas STONESTREET
- Project Manager Clos des Lunes: Hugo BERNARD and Thomas MEILLAN