WHY BUY IT ?
- 5th Grand Cru Classé from 1855
- A wine always well scored by the press: For Example Decanter, never less than 16/20 since 2008 included.
- Selective stripping and pressing
- The 90 Ha of this historic vineyard produce an elegant and refined wine, just like the property and the men who animate it. In addition, we find in this wines their real nature associated with his soil.
The history of Château Cantemerle began in the Middle Ages, when the property was part of the fortification line that defended the banks of the Medoc, about a kilometer from the current castle. The oldest known manuscript attesting the existence of the Lords of Cantemerle dates from 1147. Grand Cru Classé in 1855, it’s one of the jewels of the Haut-Médoc appellation. In 1980, the SMABTP Group is the first insurer to acquire a vineyard in Bordeaux. It is an endangered property that is taken over at the end of difficult times. The renovation of the technical installations and the replanting of the vineyard is done with the help of Cordier, to whom is entrusted the operational management of the project. This will take place in successive stages and in accordance with the priorities of the winemaking profession.
The terroir of Cantemerle is among the most prestigious and its silico-gravelly soil is ideal for the work of the vine. The grape variety consists of 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc and 5% Petit Verdot. The harvest is entirely manual with selective sorting done at the vineyard. The production of each plot is vinified separately in large oak vats favoring a slow and gentle extraction of tannins. The wines are then matured in barrels for twelve months, then slightly clarified before being bottled at the château.
At the tasting, we discover a very charming and elegant wine, with fruity notes and surprising freshness.
- Owner : SMABTP Group
- Director : Philippe DAMBRINE
- Manager : Pascal BERTEAU