Le Marquis de Calon Ségur
WHY BUY IT ?
- Renowned consulting oenologist: Éric Boissenot
- This second Château wine has a new name, echoing the name of the first wine and its historical heritage
- In addition to being a quality-price reference , Le Marquis de Calon Ségur is considered the best in its class by critics
- This is one of the most sought-after Second Wine
There are plenty of references to history in the village of Calon, which owes its name to a small boat used in the Middle Ages to transport wood from one bank to another. In the 18th century, Château Calon Ségur belonged to Nicolas Alexandre de Ségur, nicknamed the Prince of the Vines. The heart that adorns Calon’s label recalls the spirituality of this iconic landlord. In 1855, the Château acquired the rank of Third Classified Growth. From 1894 to 2012, the property passed from generation to generation in the Gasqueton family. The Château was acquired by Suravenir Insurance Group, a branch of the Crédit Mutuel Arkéa, at the end of 2012. Laurent Dufau was untrusted to the management of the estate, in collaboration with the technical director Vincent Millet.
Terroir & Vinification
The property of Calon Ségur benefits from an exceptional terroir on a single block vineyard composed of the 4 classic grape varieties. Its proportion is ideal: 56% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Merlot, 7% Cabernet Franc and 2% Petit Verdot. For several years, the work in the vineyard is focused on the uprooting of the vines of Merlot in favor of Cabernet Sauvignon. Le Marquis de Calon, the second wine of the estate, shows a very different characteristics than Château Calon Ségur because he is produced from the youngest vines of the estate, with Merlot dominance. Each year, the blend is near of the following proportions: 75% de Merlot & 25% de Cabernet Sauvignon. Ageing is between 16 et 18 monthes in 30% new oak barrels and 70% barrels of one wine.
At tasting, Le Marquis de Calon shows freshness and roundness, to drink in its five first years.
- Owner: SURAVENIR
- President: Jean-Pierre DENIS
- General & Technical Director: Vincent MILLET
- Communication Manager: Sophie MARC