Les Hauts du Tertre
WHY BUY IT ?
- The second wine of a Grand Cru Classé elaborated with the same care
- The vineyard culture is traditional: stripping, thinning, ground work etc.
- Manual harvest with selective sorting of grapes
- Vinification in traditional wood vats and concrete with thermoregulation
- Renowned consulting oenologist: Eric Boissenot
Château du Tertre is a property steeped in history. This property has existed since the 12th century and its vineyard of 52 hectares remains unchanged since 1855. It is in the 19th century that the wines of the Castle will become world famous, thanks to the classification of 1855 which makes Château du Tertre a Grand Cru Classé de Margaux. In 1997, Éric Albada Jelgersma bought this area where he made important investments to restructure the whole and give back to the Castle all its character and its nobility. Les Hauts du Tertre is the second wine of the domain.
The vineyard benefits from an exceptional terroir on the Margaux appellation. The grape variety is 40% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Merlot, 25% Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. The average age of the vineyard is 35 years old. The team of the castle, remained unchanged for over 10 years, are keeping traditional methods while combining innovation with tradition. In particular, it aims to limit the development of each vine. Soil maintenance and thinning reveal the excellence of the terroir. The Château used a wooden vat with gravity-filled vats. These small capacity tanks make it possible to isolate and vinify separately the best parcels.
At the tasting, Les Hauts du Tertre offers us spicy and fruity notes, with the true aromatic complexity of his big brother. An elegant and silky wine, worthy of Margaux wines.
L’Equipe du Château
- Owner : ALBADA JELGERSMA Family
- CEO : Alexander VAN BEEK
- General Manager : Lorenzo PASQUINI
- Commercial Manager : Laure BASTARD
- Cellar Master : David FENNELLY
- Oenologist advisor : Laboratoires DUBOURDIEU