Château Calon Ségur
“I make wine at Lafite and Latour, but my heart is at Calon.”
WHY BUY IT ?
- Château Calon Ségur is generally considered one of the most powerful Saint-Estèphe wines in the appellation.
- Calon Ségur won numerous awards at exhibitions in Paris, Liège, Bordeaux, Saint-Louis …
- The Wine Advocate considers the Grand Vin as one of the best wines of the appellation
- Renowned consulting oenologist: Eric Boissenot
- The regular technical improvements, led by Vincent Millet since 2006, accompany the qualitative progress of this great wine which affirms its style from year to year
There are plenty of references to history in the village of Calon, which owes its name to a small boat used in the Middle Ages to transport wood from one bank to another. In the 18th century, Château Calon-Ségur belonged to Nicolas Alexandre de Ségur, nicknamed the Prince of the Vines. The heart that adorns Calon’s label recalls the spirituality of this iconic landlord. In 1855, the Château acquired the rank of Third Classified Growth. From 1894 to 2012, the property passed from generation to generation in the Gasqueton family. The Château was acquired by Suravenir Insurance Group, a branch of the Crédit Mutuel Arkéa, at the end of 2012. Laurent Dufau was untrusted to the management of the estate, in collaboration with the technical director Vincent Millet.
The property of Calon Ségur benefits from an exceptional terroir on a single block vineyard composed of the 4 classic grape varieties. Its proportion is ideal: 56% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Merlot, 7% Cabernet Franc and 2% Petit Verdot. For several years, the work in the vineyard is focused on the uprooting of the vines of Merlot in favor of Cabernet Sauvignon. The average age of the vines is 22 years old. Winemaking and aging (between 18 and 20 months in 100% new French oak) Calon Ségur wines are associated with a strict selection intra-plot to extract the quintessence of this terroir.
At the tasting, this Grand Vin de Calon Ségur is a reflection of its terroir: authentic and moving. The wines of the estate are wines of great sweetness and exceptional intensity in the mouth with a power and a rare aromatic richness.
- Owner: SURAVENIR
- President: Jean-Pierre DENIS
- General & Technical Director: Vincent MILLET
- Communication Manager: Sophie MARC