Château Léoville Poyferré
WHY BUY IT ?
- A Second Classified Growth of Saint-Julien
- The know-how of the Cuvelier family, advised by Michel Rolland renowned oenologist
- The promise of a great wine
- The wines of Ch Léoville Poyferré are sought after for their incredible aromatic wealth, all in finesse, and their great capacity for aging.
- One of the few wines in St-Julien to have been rated 100/100 by Robert Parker in 2009!
The history of Château Léoville Poyferré is completely linked to the Gascon culture. Indeed, typically Gascon, the name “Poyferré” means a “point férré”, a section of pavement where horses and vehicles must wear irons. Classified Second Cru in 1855, this beautiful vineyard comes from the former Léoville estate, located north of the Saint-Julien appellation. In 1920 the Cuvelier family acquired this property. Since 1979, major investments in restructuring and modernization have been made by the Cuvelier family in order to enhance the buildings and the terroir.
The vineyard of Château Léoville Poyferré sits on a terroir of gravel that brings a balance in the diet of the plant. The property has a real control plan, based on soil analyzes, which allows to monitor their state of health. Respect for the terroir and its integrity, maintaining the life of the soils worked by generations of winemakers, are the watchwords of the technical team, resolutely turned towards the future. Thanks to this strategy combining ancestral practices of viticulture and the tools offered by modernity, Château Léoville Poyferré produces wines in which its prestigious terroir expresses itself fully. The 80 hectares of the property are planted with 61% Cabernet Sauvignon, 27% Merlot, 8% Petit Verdot and 4% Cabernet Franc. The manual harvesting is done in crates and then sorted on tables mechanically and manually a first time before the clipping of the bunches and a second time mechanically and manually before crushing berries. The vatting will be done by grapes and by parcel in the 35 stainless steel vats of the vat. After multiple tastings, the wine is finally assembled: the nectar of the vats produces the Léoville-Poyferré which ages 75% in new barrels.
At the tasting, Château Léoville Poyferré offers an elegant and well-wooded wine, totally suitable for keeping.
- Owner: CUVELIER Family – G.F.A from Domaines de Saint-Julien
- Manager: Didier CUVELIER
- Cellar master: Didier THOMANN
- Head of culture: Bruno CLENET
- Oenologist of the Castle: Isabelle DAVIN
- Consulting enologist: Michel ROLLAND