Château Lafon Rochet
WHY BUY IT ?
- Next to the Grands Crus Classés Cos d’Estournel and Lafite Rothschild: in itself one of the most prestigious wine-growing neighborhoods
- In 2000, the construction of an air-conditioned cellar and a new vat room offers the best conditions for the development of this great wine
- Renowned consulting oenologist: Jean-Claude Berrouet
- A wine recognized by the press thanks to very good scores awarded each year
- A dynamic team led by Basile Tesseron
The history of Château Lafon-Rochet, ranked fourth Grand Cru classé in 1855, dates back to the 16th century. The vineyard then belongs to the vast stronghold of Vallée Roussillon. But it was not until 1650 that the name of Lafon was associated with that of Rochet, when the heiress of the estate, Antoinette de Guillemotes brings the land of “Rochette” to her husband Etienne de Lafon, Advisor to the Parliament of Bordeaux. In 1960 the Château was bought by Guy Tesseron, who decided to undertake the restoration of the vineyard and the construction of new buildings on the plans of an 18th century charterhouse.
The vineyard covers 45 hectares in one piece and is ideally located between the Castles Lafite-Rothschild and Cos d’Estournel. The Lafon-Rochet soil is covered with ancient Quaternary gravel on a great depth and clays on deep gravel. The Château Lafon Rochet team works hard to ensure the highest quality wine. Thus planted varieties are adapted with rootstocks and soil. Cabernet Sauvignon was planted on the lean gravel (55%) Merlot on the limestone bed (40%), the vineyard is also made up of Cabernet Franc at 5%. Cabernet Sauvignon is more present in the first wine and can represent up to 75%. Yields, maturity and care are obviously under control here. Everything is done manually just like the harvest. Priority at Château Lafon Rochet is given to work in the vineyard.
At the tasting, the first wine of Château Lafon Rochet asserts itself by its elegance, worthy of the great wines of Saint-Estèphe. Well-melted tannins, and an aromatic bouquet with finesse, from fresh fruit to more ripe fruit, to some notes of wood and leather.
- Owner: TESSERON Family
- Manager: Basile TESSERON
- Technical Director: Lucas LECLERCQ
- Cellar Master: Frédéric RENAUT
- Head of Culture: Anaïs MAILLET
- Consulting oenologist: Jean-Claude BERROUET
Other wines of the property
Les Pélerins de Lafon Rochet
Since 1960, the history of Château Lafon-Rochet has been linked to the Tesseron family, which manages this famous 4th Classified Growth in the yellow label with humor, passion and ambition. Michel Tesseron, relayed by his son Basile since 2007, has...Wine details