Château La Gaffelière
WHY BUY IT ?
- Grand Cru Classé of Saint-Emilion with an exceptional terroir
- Neighbor of the Castles Pavia and Ausone
- Renown by its consulting oenologist: Stéphane Derenoncourt
- An extremely elegant wine, a reference to Bordeaux
- An excellent wine for aging
- Always very good ratings given by journalists and critics from around the world
The existence of the historic vineyards of Château La Gaffelière dates back to the Gallo-Roman era. It crosses the times and becomes in particular a hospital for Lepreux or otherwise called Gaffet by the Gascons in the 17th century. It was at this time that the Malet Roquefort family acquired the Château. The Malet Roquefort family, established for more than four centuries, stands out as the oldest family in the region. This heritage gives the current owner a motivating responsibility that he uses to renovate the Château but also respect the traditions.
The terroir of Château La Gaffelière stretches over 25 hectares and contemplates its vineyard with an area of 22 hectares in one piece between the hill of Château Ausone and that of Château Pavie. The whole oriented favorably to the south, receives an ideal sunshine which benefits the vine, aged 35 years. The slopes are made from clay-limestone. The vineyard is planted with 80% Merlot and 20% Cabernet Franc. Harvesting is manual, with careful sorting and then total destemming. The parcel vinification is done in adapted thermo regulated stainless steel vats. The malolactic fermentation that follows takes place both in vats (50%) and in barrels (50%). The breeding is done in 50% new wood for a total of 14 to 16 months.
At the tasting, Château La Gaffelière offers aromas of blackberries and blueberries. The tannins are firm and the finish is fresh. It is a precise and classy wine.
- Owners : Comte de MALET ROQUEFORT
- Managers : Comte de MALET ROQUEFORT & Alexandre de MALET ROQUEFORT