WHY BUY IT ?
- 5th Grand Cru Classé of Pauillac
- Coup de Coeur Bordeaux Tradition
- A wine “made in” François-Xavier Borie: refined and elegant, an example for the appellation
- Renowned consulting oenologist: Eric Boissenot
- Respect of the soil with a vineyard treatment in sustainable competition and High Environmental Value certified
The historical name of Grand Puy describes the privileged situation of its vineyard on the heights of Pauillac where the castle emerges in the middle of its vines. Restrained by the famous classification of Grands Crus in 1855, Château Grand-Puy-Lacoste had from the beginning of the 16th century a very beautiful place in the history of the great wines of Bordeaux. He then belongs to a very large family of councilors in the Bordeaux parliament who was passionate about his magnificent soil of seriousness, put it in value and established the fame.
Several families followed one another since at the head of the domain. In 1930, the image of this grand cru was particularly marked by the arrival of Raymond Dupin, remarkable unusual, original figure, bon vivant that will remain owner until 1978. Shortly before his death, he yielded this vintage, passion of his life, to the Borie family, whose rigor of exploitation he knew and appreciated the involvement in the production of great wines for generations.
Terroir & Vinification
The vineyard area of ??Château Grand-Puy-Lacoste is 58 hectares, and the average age of the vines is 40 years. The grape variety is 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot and Cabernet Franc 5%. The work of the vineyard is traditional and respects the soil: harvest in green, leaf stripping and manual harvest but also treatment of the vine in reasoned struggle. Once the clusters are picked up they are then sorted on a vibrating table before and after destemming. Since their acquisition, the Borie family has been responsible for the complete renovation of the estate’s farm buildings, which has just been completed with the construction of a large barrel cellar. The wine will stay in barrels of which 75% are new.
At the tasting, the Château Grand Puy Lacoste offers us a wine of a very nice balance and a nice freshness, associated with a long finish supported by melted tannins.
- Owner: F-Xavier BORIE FAMILY
- Manager: François-Xavier BORIE
- Technical Director: Christel SPINNER
- Head of culture: Antonio FLORES
- Cellar Master: Benoît ESTASSY
- Consulting enologist: Éric BOISSENOT