Château Pontet Canet
WHY BUY IT ?
- 5th Classified Growth of Pauillac
- The arrival of Justine Tesseron, Alfred’s daughter, gives a new breath to the family adventure
- A wine elaborated according to the precepts of the biodynamic and Certified Organic.
- Incredible notes: the international press is unanimous vintage after vintage. This wine is often referred to as a “Super Second”
- Alfred Tesseron and Jean-Michel Comme, its technical director, constantly improve the work undertaken by bringing the most advanced techniques. All this, in the respect and the purest expression of the terroir.
The history of Château Pontet Canet dates back to the early 18th century when Jean-François de Pontet, grand equerry of the king became governor of the Medoc, brings together several parcels of land located in Pauillac. Subsequently, his descendants add the vineyards adjoining the locality Canet: Château Pontet-Canet was born. One hundred years later, the famous classification of 1855 included Château Pontet-Canet among the elite of the Médoc viticulture. This rise did not escape one of the first Bordeaux merchants of the time, Herman Cruse, who bought the property in 1865. He built new cellars, modernized the facilities and made this wine known throughout the world. The Cruse family passed on the property for 110 years, until another merchant, but from Cognac, Guy Tesseron, bought it in 1975. Thus, in more than two hundred years, Château Pontet -Canet knew only three different owners. Today, it is the son of Guy Tesseron, Alfred Tesseron who is at the head of the field.
The Château Pontet-Canet terroir consists of 62% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Merlot, 4% Cabernet Franc and 2% Petit Verdot. The area of ??the property is 120 hectares of which 80 hectares are dedicated to the breeding of the vine. Led by Jean Michel Comme, Château Pontet-Canet’s viticulture has gone from conventional cultivation to organic farming and biodynamic farming. Thus, the terroirs, worked daily by Breton horses, have found their originality. The grape harvests are made by homogeneous terroir, which requires cutting the plots in two or three. The manual sorting of the berry is followed by a destemming then a second control is carried out on vibrating table, allowing to preserve only the perfect bays. The maceration is on average 4 weeks until the flow. The breeding is done for third in Dolia concrete which were designed by the Château Pontet-Canet only for the wines of the domain. Since his arrival at the head of the property, Alfred Tesseron has continued to undertake and invest in order to gradually and completely restructure the vineyard, renovated the technical tools and the buildings of the exploitation to produce a wine full of charm and finesse.
At the tasting, Château Pontet-Canet offers a characteristic energy. It expresses the tension and intensity of its terroir. Its internal balance combines a contained power, a precision of the unknown fruit and an undeniable race.
- Owners: Tesseron Family
- Manager: Alfred TESSERON
- Chief Executive Officer: Justine TESSERON
- Technical Director: Jean-Michel COMME
- Sales Director: David ORNON
- Consulting oenologist: Michel ROLLAND