The history of Château Filhot goes back to 1709 when Romain de Filhot, councilor in the Parliament of Bordeaux, created the property. The Château Filhot was noted second growth in the classification proposed in 1855 to Napoleon III by the brokers and the chamber of commerce of Bordeaux. Classified under its name in 1855, Château Filhot was then circulated worldwide, until the end of the 19th century, under the name Château Sauternes. The estate takes the name of Château Filhot in 1901. Over the centuries, Château Filhot has been passed on to various owners until today it is owned by Count Henri de Vaucelles, who has been managing the estate since 1974. His son, Gabriel de Vaucelles has been involved in management since 1996.
The terroir of Château Filhot covers 62 hectares of vineyards planted with 60% Sémillon, 36% Sauvignon and 4% Muscadelle. The hills are oriented south or southwest and are made of gravel, clay and sand on limestone plateau. The grapes are harvested by successive trials of botrytis cinerea (noble rot). Extracted by slow pressing, the musts ferment in small stainless steel vats for two weeks to a month. The breeding is kept for 20 to 24 months in oak barrels of the Allier, 30% new.
At the tasting, Château Filhot stands out for its freshness, the delicacy of its liquor, its mineral character and the elegance of its balance.
- Owner : Comte Henri DE VAUCELLES
- Managers : Comte Henri DE VAUCELLES & Gabriel DE VAUCELLES