Château de Francs “Les Cerisiers”
WHY BUY IT ?
- When Hubert De Boüard (Ch. Angelus) and Dominique Hebrard (formerly Ch. Bellefont-Belcier and Cheval Blanc) team up, it sparks !
- A property they bought together in 1986: a real long-term project
- “Les Cerisiers” is the signature wine: 90% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon
- A property of 37 Ha on clay-limestone soil
- Wine of good guard, possible conservation from 5 to 15 years
- A beautiful story behind the wine
- An interesting price-quality ratio for this appellation
- Release in Primeur, very small appellation of Bordeaux which makes it a rare wine
The history of the Château de Francs dates back to the Middle Ages as evidenced by its architecture, surrounded by a beautiful vineyard today completely restored. The Château de Francs was originally a military stronghold under English rule from 115 to 1453, date of the Battle of Castillon. Only part of the castle was used as a manor house, the rest being reserved for 300 men with their horses and crews. The family of Segur, who had made his castle available to the English, was forced to sell it when the aquitaine became French again under Henry IV. It was in 1986 that Hubert de Boüard de Laforest, co-owner of Château Angélus and Dominique Hebrard, former co-owner of Château Cheval Blanc, decided to invest in this still little-known region. Surrounded by a dynamic and welded team for more than 25 years, the two childhood friends make fine and elegant wines known and recognized for their qualities and their very affordable prices.
On a fabulous clay-limestone terroir close to what is found on the Saint-Emilion plateau, this magnificent estate covers 37 hectares of AOC Francs-Côtes de Bordeaux vineyards. The vines are 90% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon. A Bordelaise pruning is done in the vineyards, with double stripping as well as thinning and harvesting in green to allow the best clusters to best express their potential. Thermo-regulated stainless steel vats and different vinification techniques (pumping over, load shedding, maceration time) are adapted according to the vintage and the raw material. The aging of this wine is 12 to 14 months in barrels of which 1/3 are new and 2/3 are one year old.
At the tasting, the Château de Francs “Les Cerisiers” offers a beautiful ruby color. On the nose, red fruit notes emerge, complex, fine and very classic. On the palate, the attack is frank on the fruit with finely woody notes. Nice amount of tannins and long finish. It’s a “pleasure wine …!”
Owners : Hubert DE BOUARD DE LAFOREST et Dominique HEBRARD