Château de Fonbel
WHY BUY IT ?
- The know-how of the Vauthier family (Chx Ausone & Moulin St. Georges)
- A wine of great elegance that will age to perfection.
- Here we look for balance, the fruit
- Varieties sometimes atypical in Fonbel with 5% Carménère
The history of Château de Fonbel refers to the Vauthier family. This wonderful vintage, nestled near the medieval town of Saint Emilion is one of three properties managed by Alain and Pauline Vauthier who work every day to produce exceptional wines.
The vineyard of Château de Fonbel is located in the plain of Saint-Emilion, installed on some 16 hectares. The soils are sandy-gravelly and 4 grape varieties coexist here: Merlot (60%), Cabernet Sauvignon (52%), Petit Verdot (10%) and Carmenère (5%). Alain Vauthier and his daughter Pauline (Châteaux Ausone and Moulin St.-Georges) have significantly raised the level of this property using the same methods as for Château Ausone. They put all their expertise in this property to achieve a very large Saint Emilion Grand Cru. The average age of the vines in the vineyard is 20 years and the harvest is done manually. The fermentation takes place in thermo-regulated stainless steel vats and the aging takes place in barrels of which 30% are new for 12 months.
At the tasting, the Château de Fonbel offers a nicely fruity, elegant wine marked by light tannins.
- Owner: VAUTHIER Family
- Manager: Alain VAUTHIER
- Consulting oenologist: Gilles PAUQUET
- Cellar Master: Philippe BAILLARGUET
- Head of culture: Laurent VALLET