WHY BUY IT ?
- Brand and quality of rising wines from year to year, following heavy investments in the vineyard and in the cellars
- A price always extremely reasonable
- Regularly Cru Bourgeois
- A wine always greeted by the press: example Decanter 16 (2010) 15.50 (2009 and 2010) but also Jancis Robinson 16.50 (2010) 15.50 (2011 and 2009) Wine Enthousiast 90-92 (2012) & 16 for this 2015 vintage from Jancis Robinson
- Renowned oenologist: Eric Boissenot
- 1/3 of the vineyard follows a biological behavior
The history of Château Citran is linked to the Donissan family who reigned over this ancient Médoc manor from the 13th century until 1832. It was at this time that the last heiress of the estate was obliged to yield it to Monsieur Clauzel , an ambitious businessman. The present Castle was built on the foundations of the primitive Castle whose moats are still in perfect condition. In early 1987, the company Touko-Haus bought the estate with the aim of raising the wine to its highest level. It was not until 1996 that the Merlaut family, already very involved in the viticultural life of Bordeaux, bought the property. Since then, the Merlaut family has been working every day to develop this estate, while respecting its history. In 2012, the Castle enters the heritage of historical monuments.
The vineyard of Château Citran is divided into two parts. One is bordering the Margaux appellation and is located near the Château. The other is close to the town of Avensan, in the heart of the Haut-Médoc appellation. The ridge of bass which composes it descends gently towards the property encircled in its wooded and humid setting. Cabernet Sauvignon covers 58% of the estate’s 90 hectares, Merlot only 42%. The nature of Château Citran soils is excellent for the vine. In the endless race for quality, major work continues. Thus, serious culminating points were deforested to plant Cabernet Sauvignon vines. This would further increase its percentage in the composition of the Grand Vin. When vinification, they are conducted in thermoregulated modern vats and followed by aging in oak casks, including 1/3 new barrels.
At the tasting, the Château Citran offers a particularly rich wine, fruity, structured and harmonious with each vintage.
- Propriétaire : Famille MERLAUT
- Directrice Commercial : Sophia SANCHEZ