Château du Retout
WHY BUY IT ?
- A high-quality gravelly terrace, the ideal terroir for Cabernet Sauvignon to reach optimal ripeness
- A high percentage of Petit Verdot
- The property has been engaged for several years in a process of collecting grapes with the best possible quality
- Very selective harvest, manual sorting at the arrival of the grapes, smooth extraction to respect as much as possible the fruit of the wine
- An identifiable Packaging
- Excellent scores for every vintage
Château du Retout is characterized in history by its mill of the thirteenth century located at its center which is none other than the highest point of the property (17m high). The crisis of phylloxera (nineteenth century), the war of 14-18 and the division in inheritance have linked this Cru Bourgeois to Château Camino-Salva (Cru Bourgeois) and Chateau Moulina. It was in the 50s that the Kopp family bought and merged these 3 properties. This Médoc”Success Story” was a long-term job since most of the land was uncultivated! Today, Château du Retout is still operated by the Kopp family, represented by Hélène Soual and her husband Frédéric
The terroir of Château du Retout, located on a rump in the town of Cussac-Fort-Médoc, has 34 Ha planted with vines including 32 AOC Haut-Médoc and 2 ha in white grape varieties. With an average age of 30, the vineyard is composed of 68% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot and 7% Petit Verdot with a planting density of 6666 feet per hectare. With grass cover between rows, natural fertilizers and certified organic products to produce the healthiest possible crop. Since 2001, the tanks are all thermo-regulated, for partial vinifications. The aging is 12 months in barrels of which 33% new without racking.
Also, two hectares are dedicated to white varieties, with an absolutely atypical blend: Sauvignon Gris, Gros Manseng, Savagnin and Mondeuse. The first grape is known in Bordeaux, but the other three are completely unpublished. They come respectively from the Pyrenées, Jura and Savoie. An amazing vintage that deserves to be tasted !
At the tasting, Château du Retout offers an elegance and finesse typical of its appellation. Elegant , with round tannins, wines that charms by their volume and their great aromatic persistence.
- Owner : Famille KOPP
- General Manager and Director : Hélène et Frédéric Soual
- Oenologist Adviser : Eric Boissenot